In the second half of the XIX century a period of rapid industrial development began in Russia. During this period Ukraine also followed this direction of industrial and agricultural development. The development was particularly intensive in the southern economic region where it was concentrated in Odessa due to an extremely favourable position on the shore of Black sea. Fast industrialization transformed this city into one of the largest economic centres not only on the South, but also in all Russia.
Thus, in Odessa the need for production of chemical products quickly increased.
At the same time Odessa imported raw materials necessary for chemical production, in particular sodium bicarbonate, rosin, sulphur and sulphuric acid, saltpetre and copper from other countries... But despite of this import, the south of Ukraine was not engaged in production of chemical fertilizers.
On November 19, 1884 entrepreneur Alexander Brodsky wrote a letter to the Odessa city governor where he asked to permit a construction of a new chemical enterprise. The letter said: «Willing to construct a factory for production of different chemical products (salts and mineral acids) in Bugaevka, suburb of the city of Odessa on the side of Aleksandrovskiy sugar-refining factory, I ask you for permission to do it. The plan and detailed drawings will be submitted in due time». In 1885 the permission was received.
In the spring of the same year the construction of the factory began and the superphosphate factory was founded. Not waiting for the completion of works, Brodsky addressed to authorities a request to begin «Production of chemical products». First of all it was planned to start up sulphuric acid branch. On December 9, 1885 with the circular letter of Odessa city governor under Number 13252 the permission for the production of sulphuric acid was granted.
The technological process was simple: base equipment and equipment of small furnaces for burning sulphur, a Glovers Tower, two chambers, columns of saturation of nitrate vapours, tanks for storage of manufactured goods.
In a year, on September 10, 1886, construction of one more building finished, where the production of hydrochloric, acetic and nitric acids and also copper sulphate was located.
At the end of 1887 the Trade Council registered the Brodskys factory and granted a certificate of the 1-st guild with the right to be «an industrial institution». In 1888 at the factory there were four 35 horsepower steam machines functioning, and 14 horsepower wind engine. New equipment- a water and an air pump, two lead chambers and a big furnace for production of sulphate was installed. Annually the factory produced 50 thousand poods of sulphuric, 20 thousand poods of hydrochloric and 1000 poods of nitric acid, 8 thousand poods of crystal soda, 12 thousand poods of sulphate, and 8 thousand poods of iron sulphate.
One of the basic kinds of production was the sulphuric acid, produced by the chamber method. The main consumer of sulphuric acid was the superphosphate department of the plant. The finished goods got into warehouse. After short ripening superphosphate was packaged in bags, which then were sewed up and loaded into cars.
In May, 1944, after the city was liberated, the factory produced acid for needs of the 3-rd Ukrainian front, and due to selfless collective work of all factory workers, in the spring of 1945 the first post-war consignment of superphosphate was produced. It was a big victory. At that time the Odessa Superphosphate Plant was a unique enterprise in Ukraine, making mineral fertilizers.
Plant capacities were increased, and construction of new technological facilities, extending and reconstructing of the existing ones, started. In 1951 construction of a production facility of granulated superphosphate was finished. After 3 years of reconstruction the sulphuric acid manufacturing started to work with considerably increased capacity. Here a reflective sulphuric furnace, wet electro filters MT-184 were installed, new towers were erected, the nozzles were replaced.
In 1955 phospor manufacturing, that is the essential cleaning means, was mastered. 1958 the cryolite department was opened, where exhaust gas of superphosphate producing was processed.
In 1958 for the first time in the country production of deficit raw material for nonferrous metallurgy cryolite from departing gases of superphosphate products started. In 1959 production of simple superphosphate under the continuous scheme was opened. In 1962 the enterprise started manufacturing of copper sulphate from copper scrap.
The capacity of the copper sulphate production was 12.4 thousand tons per year. Copper sulphate then was exported to 12 countries. To increase its output a new oven branch was constructed. Since 1988 production of synthetic detergents with the capacity of 6000 tons per year has been operating.
In 1990 new manufacturing began latex glue for wallpapers, with the capacity of 5000 tons per year. For packaging the latex glue for wallpapers and synthetic detergents, the factory started manufacturing of polyethylene containers.
Open joint stock company PCF «Olimp-Krug» Ltd. for the first time in 1990 together with the All-Union Institute of water, named after Dumanskiy and Odessa branch of TNITS «Water-processing» mastered production of potable water of an improved quality by disinfecting and filtering it on the apparatus OIOA-100. Water «OLIMP» surpasses all strict requirements of the world standards on quality indicators.
Since 2002 the enterprise has been preparing for production of distilled water in plastic containers for use in preparation of electrolytes and chemical analysis, for refuelling pressing irons and accumulator batteries, and also for preparation of solutions of reactants. Today at the enterprise there is an accredited laboratory equipped with modern equipment. The laboratory renders services of certification tests of detergents, mineral salts, feed additives and petroleum products.